Thursday 11 December 2014

Preventive measures to avoid accidents !

Here are a few measures to avoid accidents  Every  driver needs to follow to stay safe and let others travel safely make sure you drive responsibly !

     A national safety research council has recommended wearing seat belts to be made an compulsion here are a few tips to avoid accidents...


  • Pull into traffic slowly. Stop, Look, Listen. Be aware of blind spots, including those in rear view mirrors and behind windshield pillars or highway road signs. Also, when at an intersection making a right-hand turn, look both directions at least twice before proceeding. Vehicles can appear almost out of nowhere very quickly, so exercise caution when pulling into a busy intersection.
  • Watch for red light runners. Count to three before entering an intersection on a green light. Look both ways and be sure no one is trying to speed through a yellow light. Exercise caution when passing semis. Truck drivers have a large blind spot on their right-hand side, so be especially careful when driving next to an 18-wheeler. If you cannot see the truck''s side mirrors, the truck driver cannot see you.
  • Keep at least one hand on the steering wheel. Reduce in-car distractions such as changing radio stations or Cd's, cell phones, eating or momentarily taking a hand off the wheel. A gust of wind, pothole or a blown tire could send the vehicle into another lane and cause a serious accident.
  • Watch for kids. Children and animals have a habit of suddenly popping out from between parked cars and into roadways. If you are driving in a residential neighbourhood with kids present, watch carefully and slow down.
  • Perform engine maintenance regularly. Avoid sudden stalls or other vehicle failure by changing the oil regularly and keeping tires properly inflated.
  • Scan 12 seconds ahead. Always concentrate on the area where you will be driving in 10-12 seconds. For highway driving, keep positioned far enough from other cars so if someone were to suddenly stop or swerve, you could avoid them.
  • Look backwards when backing out. Fender benders in parking lots are all too common, so look out for cars leaving parking spaces. Don''t depend on mirrors alone -- physically look over your right shoulder while steering to alleviate blind spots mirrors can create.
  • Do not tailgate. Leave a three-second cushion between you and the car in front of you and begin your journey early enough so you don''t speed to make up time. As tempting as it may be when in a hurry, tailgating is a major cause of accidents.
  • Be courteous to other drivers. No one owns the roads, so treat others with respect and report any suspicious driving activity to authorities.
In recent years, statistics show that over 5,000 teens per year are involved in fatal accidents, in the United States. Some of these accidents are as simple as lack of driving experience to quick access to full driving privileges at an early age, some of these collision are life change or result in death. To reduces numbers of fatalities, we most coach our youth to be safe driver. First step, as adult/parent(s) is let the child show "initiative in driving". This is important because the teen might not have an interest in driving, when you(as the parent/adult) thinking they should be learning to drive. Wait on the teen to show an interest in learning how to drive. I started teaching my little cousin who had lack of self confidence how to drive when he was 17-years-old. I wanted my cousin to be confident behind the wheel while he was driving aware of his surroundings, so I wanted to start him off slow, by learning the "vehicle itself" first. We discuss the three mirrors up front, "seat belts, air bags, tire inflation and inspection'

Here are a fewexamplesw people who were the victims of road accidents








 



Carelessness Causes Accidents 

Before the summer of 2003, I lived life in the fast lane. I did everything fast. I drove fast, I worked fast, and I liked to get things fast. Like many teenagers today, I felt invincible and like I would live forever. I never really considered the immediate consequences or the long term results of actions, until the day my life and my car were flipped upside down. 
It was a gorgeous June afternoon, and summer had just begun. I had just received my license, and I could not wait to go cruising in my parents new yellow Ford Expedition. I had spent the day at my friend's house and was now on my way home. I was almost home. I just had to turn onto the gravel road for a shortcut to get to my house. I was trying to turn and put my favorite cd in simultaneously. I guess I was going a little too fast, because all of a sudden, I found myself lying in the ditch, and my truck beside me. Then, I realized a bitter taste of blood in my mouth. I slowly got up on one leg and struggled and crawled up to the road. It seemed as though no one would ever see me, and just as I lost hope, there was an old white pickup coming down the road. I used all my might to wave it down. The man in the truck started to slow down. His appearance was that of a farmer, and he did not have any way of calling for help. He waited with me and calmed me down. It seemed like an hour before another car came down the road, but in actuality it was only 10 minutes. The woman pulled over and immediately dialed 911 on her cell  phone. While we were waiting for the ambulance, I was hysterical. I began to reflect on my life. I thought of my family and if I would ever see them again. I could not move or feel my left arm or leg. I felt like I was going to pass out from the pain in my broken limbs. The farmer did everything he could think of to  calm  me down a little bit. He asked me questions about family, school, and pretty much anything he could think of. I learned all about his wife, and his family; his grand kids, and even their grand kids. Eventually, after what seemed like three hours waiting for the ambulance, it finally got there. The paramedics rushed out, and loaded me into the wailing vehicle. 
The whole way to the hospital the paramedics asked me questions about my injuries and what I remember about the accident. The pain was almost unbearable, so I told enough of what they wanted to hear, just so they would shut up. The paramedics were very uncaring if you ask me. From my experience I have learned if you get injured in a car accident the paramedics rather here about that so they can have there little gossip sessions on there lunch break. But after all that they put my arm and leg in splints and finally gave me something for the pain. After about 15 minutes in the ambulance we got to the hospital and they hauled me into the X-ray room and took X-rays of my arm and leg. They found out that my forearm bone and the bone under the biceps were broken in my left arm and that I had broken my fibula in my left leg. The breaks were not that serious, so they did not require any surgery or pins, thank goodness. Besides being alive, which was the best news I had heard all day. After that, they brought me back to the room and molded casts for my arm and leg. The one on my arm was neon pink, and the one on my leg was camouflage. One bad thing was that the broken bones would not allow me to use crutches, so I had to get around in a motorized wheelchair for a couple of weeks. My wheelchair was awesome! I had gotten it from my grandad Will. Grandpa Will passed away two years ago, my Grandma Gussie decided it was time for her to come to terms with his death. So she mustered up all of her courage, and went into his closet, and got the wheelchair for me. 
I ended up having the casts on for six weeks. I got to leave the wheelchair after about a month. For some reason, I missed my wheelchair. The one good thing about losing my wheelchair though was that I got a lot of attention from the girls, because they carried around my books for me and bought me lunch and some girls even completed my homework. It was like girl heaven. After that experience (my whole accident, not the attention from the girls!), I have learned a lot. It was a blessing that those people, my angels, pulled over and came to my rescue at the time that they did. It was also fortunate that they pulled over to help me instead of driving by and saying, "The next car will stop. I am in a hurry." I did not have a cell phone at the time. It is funny how the simple device that my mother refused to buy me for Christmas my eighth grade year, because it was not considered a necessity, saved my life. My mom bought me, along with my other siblings, a cell phone shortly after that. I learned that it is very important to pay attention to the road while driving, not your CD player. I had to learn that lesson the hard way, unfortunately. I totally jeopardized my life for a stupid CD that I wanted to listen to. I am lucky to be alive. Since the accident, I slow down in life and take my time. I do not rush things and when I am driving, I pay attention to the road and ONLY the road. I consider every breath and every day that I am alive a blessing. I did not want to drive again for awhile after the accident. Now I drive all the time. This whole experience has changed my life. I now realize that I could be gone at any moment and that I am not invincible. I tell my family members that I love them whenever I get the chance because I could walk out the door and never see them again. I have to live life one day at a time and slow down in all areas of my life not just driving. This experience also helps me to remember what my priorities are: my family, my future, and most importantly my life, so drive safely be responsible ...
We all know speed is a major factor in many accidents. However, not all accidents are caused by speed and not all accidents are preventable. Yet there are steps you can take to help prevent accidents. Many accidents can be prevented and in those that are not preventable, the damage could be lessened. Here are some tips to help you prevent traffic accidents.
  • Drive according to road conditions. Drive slower when the weather is bad. Road surfaces deteriorate in rain, ice or snow. The ability to stop quickly greatly reduces when the roads are not dry.
  • Keep your vehicle in good mechanical order. Replace worn tires and brakes as needed. Keep windshield washer fluid full and change out windshield wipers on a regular basis.
  • Wear your seatbelt. Not only do seatbelts keep you safe in an accident, it will help you avoid accidents as well. Seatbelts will hold you in place during an aggressive maneuver. If you make an abrupt maneuver, you may find yourself thrown to the passenger side of the vehicle. Remember to make your passengers buckle up, too.
  • Avoid other vehicles. Back off and don’t tailgate or allow others to tailgate you. Try to avoid driving next to another vehicle in case it has to swerve to avoid an animal or debris that may be in the road.
  • Watch out at intersections as many accidents happen here. Always slow down and look both ways at intersections. Don’t assume the other vehicles will stop just because the light is red. There is always someone trying to get through the intersection during a yellow light.
  • Stay away from 18-wheelers. These large tractor trailer rigs require extra space when making wide right turns.Ttherefore, avoid the right side of one, especially if you think the driver will turn right. Don’t drive behind an 18-wheeler on the highway. A blown tire can cause an accident.
  • Turn your head to check for traffic before changing lanes. Do not rely on your mirrors when making a lane change. All vehicles have “blind spots” in which your mirrors cannot see. Do not ride in the blind spots of other vehicles.
  • Look extra carefully in parking lots or parking areas. Many fender-benders happen in these areas. Follow the rules set up in parking areas. These rules are for the safety of all drivers.
  •  
  •  
  • Slow down. Obey the speed limit even if every other car is surpassing it. Remember that police officers often stay hidden from view while looking for speeders. If you’re caught driving too fast, they won’t hesitate to give you a ticket.
  • Let others pass you. Defensive driving means letting others go ahead-not defending your position in traffic. Avoid the urge to be a vigilante (“Oh yeah? Let me show you what it’s like to be cut off like that!”) Accept the fact that someone is always going to think they’re in more of a hurry than you. These are the drivers you want to move far away from, not to ‘teach them a lesson.
  • Try to avoid driving in bad weather. Always keep your windshield wipers going in the rain or snow. Defrost your windshield to keep it from fogging up. Turn on your headlights to help others to see you–this is also the law in some states. If possible, try to avoid driving in the snow at all, especially if your car is rear wheel drive. If you must go out in the snow, drive extra slow, use the brakes and gas pedal gently, and maintain an increased stopping distance.
  • Never get into a car with a drunk driver. It is always best to have a “designated driver”. Never drive after you have had alcoholic beverages. Even one beer can alter your ability to drive safely.
  • Wear a seatbelt. This is a must. By law in many countries, all cars must have a safety restraint. Buckling up only takes a second and can save your life in an accident. Children should always be in a booster seat or car seat until they are tall enough and heavy enough to sit by themselves. This generally includes children age eight and under. Never put a child in a car or booster seat in the front passenger seat or other seat with airbags. Children should generally be 12 and older when sitting in the front passenger seat.
  • Keep your car and its accessories in good condition. Keep the tires properly inflated, the brakes adjusted, and the windshields and windows clean. Replace windshield wiper blades when they begin to streak, and all make sure all the lights are working properly.
  • Use your signals properly. Always use your signal, even if you think no one is there. When changing lanes on the freeway, don’t signal as an afterthought or during the lane change. Signal at least a couple of seconds in advance so others know what you’re going to do before you do it. (Ever notice how most of the skid marks along the highway are just before an exit ramp? – this is where you have to be the most careful.)
  • Don’t tailgate. No matter how slowly traffic is moving, keep at least two seconds of following distance between you and the car ahead. Any less and you won’t be able to stop in time if the driver ahead slams on the brakes.
     
  • Keep your eyes moving. Don’t get in the habit of staring at the back of the car ahead of you. Periodically shift your eyes to the side-view mirrors, the rear-view mirror, and ahead to where you’ll be in 10-15 seconds. Doing this, you can spot a potentially dangerous situation before it happens.
     
    You have been drinking alcohol.
    You are under the influence of any drug.
    You have taken any prescription or over-the-counter medicine that can cause drowsiness.
    You are very tired.
    Your vehicle has mechanical defects.
    In addition, avoid driving when you are emotionally upset, extremely angry, or very depressed.

    CHECKS AND BALANCES
    Check your car’s wipers and make sure they are in good condition, fluid levels are full, tyres properly inflated and worn tyres replaced.
    Open your car door without blocking the way of cyclists, bumping the door into pedestrians or into other cars.

    COCKPIT MANNERS
    When inside your vehicle, Shut and lock doors, locate all controls.
    Make sure there are no loose items on the floor and under the seat, especially bottles, cans, and balls that can roll under the foot pedals and prevent their proper operation.

    1. Ensure handbrake is on.
    2. Ensure gear lever is in neutral.
    3. Adjust seating.
    4. Adjust mirrors.
    5. Fasten seatbelt.
    6. Start engine (check dash warning lights and familiarize with positions of the key, i.e., ignition/accessories, etc.).
    7. Select appropriate gear (in an automatic, foot must be firmly on brake).
    8. Release ratchet on handbrake (pull up a little, press button, and hold).
    9. Check mirrors.
    10. Give five second indication.
    Check over shoulder (blindspot) and move off.
     
    DRIVE TO SURVIVE
    Be aware of weather conditions such as rain, snow, or even strong wind and take note of hazardous road surfaces covered with oil, water, loose stones or gravel and drive accordingly.
    1. In addition, keep a lookout for pot holes or debris, which had come adrift from trucks or bakkies such as building material or refuse. In strong wind, large paper or plastic bags could blow up against your windscreen and obscure your view of the road.
    2. Paper or plastic clinging to the front of your car blocking air ducts or your radiator grill while driving could cause your car to overheat.
    3. Do not drive erratically such as stopping abruptly or changing direction without a good reason such as an emergency. A smooth predictable driving style does not give other motorists nasty surprises and after all, it is better for your car.
    4. Always maintain a good vision ahead and around your car.
    5. Stay alert and be prepared to react to the unexpected, remember a vehicle stopping in front of you may be letting a car or pedestrian cross.
    6. Take care when overtaking. Moreover, when overtaking, remember: cars but especially motorcycles could be travelling much faster towards you than you anticipated…
    7. Anticipate the mistakes or unsafe manoeuvres of the other drivers.
    8. Keep your eyes moving.
    9. Watch for the brake lights of moving cars ahead but also the reverse lights of any stationary vehicle that may enter your path.
    10. Pay close attention at pedestrian crossings and when driving near playgrounds, schoolyards, and shopping centres.
    11. Be cautious of cyclists or children playing near the road.
    12. Use your horn only to warn pedestrians or other drivers of possible trouble or to avoid accidents.
    13. Use headlights in rain, snow, fog, in evening, or early morning.
    14. Allow extra space between heavy-equipment vehicles, motorcycles, or bicycles and your vehicle.
    15. If a tailgater is following you, move to another lane if possible or pull to the side of the road and let the tailgater pass you. Avoid road rage at all times.
    16. Never race other motorists.
    17. Do not drive in another driver’s blind spot.
    18. Do not weave in and out of traffic.
    19. Avoid &rduo;highway hypnosis.“ during prolonged trips.
    20. Be aware of road works or temporary speed reduction signs.
    21. If you plan to drive a long distance, stop and stretch after every two hours.
    22. Stay in the middle of your lane in between the lines.
    23. Slow down in unfamiliar areas and watch out for sport events such as fun runs, marathons, and cycle races.
    TURN THE OTHER CHEEK
    Even when other motorists drive foolishly, give up your right of way to prevent an accident when necessary. Do not retaliate, you do not know what sort of character you would be dealing with.
    WALK THE TALK and don’t STALK
    Chatting to passengers or adjusting a car stereo, eating, and drinking can be distracting. Do not even think of talking to some one driving next to you through an open car window. Use cellphones with hands free equipment only but avoid lengthy conversations anyway. Never send SMS messages while driving. In addition, while driving, never allow passengers to physically interfere with you including sexual petting, which could be seriously distracting.
     

    INTERSECTION PERFECTION
    Most accidents occur at intersections, and within two to three seconds after the light changes. Follow these tips to avoid many intersection accidents:
    1. As you approach any uncontrolled intersection, never assume the other driver is going to yield. Cover your brake with your right foot and prepare to stop.
    2. If you are approaching an intersection where the light has been green for a while, cover your brake and prepare to stop.
    3. If your vehicle is stopped at an intersection with a traffic light, and it turns green, wait. Make sure the traffic has stopped. Never assume. Look left, right and back left before proceeding through the intersection.
    4. Always look for pedestrians at intersections.
    BRAKE DANCING
    Simply put, you cannot stop on a dime!
    Braking distance is a factor of three components:

    1. perception time
    2. reaction time
    3. and braking distance.
    In ideal circumstances, perception time is about one second and reaction time is three-fourths of a second. If you are tired, under the influence of drugs or alcohol or distracted (i.e., using a car phone), these times will increase.

     CONSIDERATE -
    towards pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers. Tries not to frighten them by approaching at a threatening speed. Does not blow horn and add to the high level of noise in the city. Does not use headlights at full beam and blind the on-coming drivers.
    COURTEOUS -
    by giving way to the traffic on the right; by slowing down to allow pedestrians to cross the road; does not show impatience by repeatedly blowing horn or threatening gestures; by helping another driver in distress.


    SAFE -
    doesn’t overspeed; doesn’t overtake recklessly; keeps his vehicle in good condition; follows lane discipline; observes traffic signals and parking restrictions.
    Do’s & Don’ts
    Dos Don’ts
    • Do dip your headlights when behind another vehicle is approaching
    • Do drive slowly in rain fog
    • Do give way to traffic on your right
    • Do get the emission TEST done periodically
    • Do maintain your vehicle in good condition
    • Do allow space for vehicles for free left turn – do not block the left lane at junctions where free left is permitted
    • Do slow down when taking a curve
    • Do not decorate your vehicle with garlands and buntings – they restrict your vision and divert attention of other drivers
    • Do carry original driving license and registration certificate at all times
    • Do not use horn except to avert danger
    • Do not use headlights on well-lit roads
    • Do not use headlights on full beam on city roads
    • Do not weave between traffic lanes
    • Do not drive under influence of liquor
    • Do not park in “no parking” areas
    • Do not park more than 15 CMS from the pavement
                  
     
     
     
       Negotiating Turns
    • LEFT TURN
    • Ensure that the turning path is clear and no one is coming up behind you on your left • Give the left and signal by hand or indicator • Keep as close to the left as possible – just before during and after turn • After completing the turn, slowly and smoothly merge with the traffic
     
     
     
    • RIGHT TURN
    • Make sure that the traffic behind is at a safe distance • Give the right hand signal and gradually slow down • Leave as much room as possible for other vehicles to pass on your left, and take a position just left of the middle of the road. • As soon as you find a safe gap between you and the coming traffic make turn swiftly but safely
    • Getting into a car accident can lead to several unwanted consequences, including permanent injuries, loss of earnings, etc.While some of these car accident causes may seem obvious and redundant to experienced drivers, this list aims to educate all levels of drivers, from the teenage driver who just got his license, to the senior driver with 40 years experience behind the wheel.
    • Learning to drive a car takes many instructional hours behind the wheel, especially if that driver wants to avoid causing automobile accidents. Let our Top 25 Causes of Car Accidents be your guide towards a lifetime of car accident prevention not just in San Diego, but anywhere.

     

    1. Distracted Driving


    • The number one cause of car accidents is not a criminal that drove drunk, sped or ran a red light. Distracted drivers are the top cause of car accidents in the U.S. today. A distracted driver is a motorist that diverts his or her attention from the road, usually to talk on a cell phone, send a text message or eat.

    2. Speeding

    • You’ve seen them on the highway. Many drivers ignore the speed limit and drive 10, 20 and sometimes 30 mph over the limit. Speed kills, and traveling above the speed limit is an easy way to cause a car accident. The faster you drive, the slower your reaction time will be if you need to prevent an auto accident.

    3. Drunk Driving

    • When you drink, you lose the ability to focus and function properly and its very dangerous when operating a vehicle. Driving under the influence of alcohol causes car accidents every day, even when they are one the top causes that can be avoided. Always use a designated driver if you go out and drink.

     

    4. Rain

    • If the weather gets bad so do the roads. Car accidents happen very often in the rain because water creates slick and dangerous surfaces for cars, trucks, and motorcycles and often causes automobiles to spin out of control or skid while braking. To avoid a car accident, drive extra careful when it rains.

    5. Running Red Lights

    • When you’re driving your car, red means stop and not doing so usually leads to car accidents. Drivers that run red lights, run the risk of causing wrongful death because they often cause side-impact collisions at high speeds. To avoid a car accident, look both ways for oncoming cars as you approach a green light.

    6. Running Stop Signs

    • Stop signs should never be ignored, but when they are, serious car accidents are often the result. Each year, thousands of car accidents occur because one driver ran a stop sign. Many rollover accidents and side-impact car accidents result from drivers that run stop signs. You should always look both ways when proceeding through a stop sign.

    7. Night Driving

    • Driving in the daylight can be hazardous, but driving at night nearly doubles the risk of a car accident occurring. When you can’t see what’s up ahead you don’t know what to anticipate as you drive towards it. As the sun goes down, your awareness of the road and cars around you must go up.

    8. Unsafe Lane Changes

    • There will always come a time where you need to get over to another lane (i.e. exit from a freeway, get in the correct lane to make a turn, etc.). When drivers don’t make safe lane changes properly, it often leads to a car accident. To prevent a needless car accident, use your turn signal, check your blind spots and always proceed carefully into the next lane.

     

    9. Wrong-Way Driving

    • Everyone has lapses in judgment, but when behind the wheel of a car, those clouded instincts can be deadly. You can turn down a street thinking it is a normal right turn, when in actuality, it is a one-way street in the opposite direction. When you go the wrong way, everyone is in danger because as you head towards a car accident.

     

    10. Improper Turns

    • The reason that we have stop lights, turn signals, and lanes designated for moving either right or left as opposed to straight is because when drivers ignore the rules of the road, car accidents are often the result. To prevent a car accident, always look for signs and obey the proper right-of-way before you make a turn.

    11. Driving Under the Influence of Drugs

    • It’s not only alcohol that is dangerous when mixed with drivers on the road. Drugs, both legal and illegal, can impair your ability to fully function as a driver. If your mind isn’t clear and you don’t have complete control over your body, getting behind the wheel can lead to serious car accidents.


    12. Animal Crossings

    • While drivers are required to know the rules of the roadway, wild animals do not take driver’s education. Wild animals will wade out into the street, and it’s up to you to make sure that you don’t get into a car accident with them. Take caution when you see an animal crossing sign and use your high beams when traveling in rural, woody areas.

    13. Street Racing

    • Glorified by the Fast and the Furious movie franchise, street racing is an underground culture of fast cars and deadly car accidents. With turbo engines and nitrous oxide boosters, cars often reach very high speeds during a street race, making any resulting car accident much more dangerous and unlikely to yield any survivors.


    so please drive responsibly and make the streets a safer place for other vehicles and pedestrians


    SAFETY ON ROADS IS SAFE TEA AT HOME ! SO  please takecare and be responsible friends        TAKECARE!


                                                                                                                        Regards 
                                                                                                                  Mohan.v.krishna





No comments:

Post a Comment